January 28, 2009

Why I shouldn't be a mechanic.

A couple of days ago Chris noticed that my headlights and dashboard lights would flicker off and on. I never saw this so I didn't pay it any mind. But in the last two days the flicker lasted longer and longer until Monday it just turned off. A frustrating moment considering I was driving Germantown Road at dusk. Luckily, after some under breath swearing and frantic turning of the light switch, it came back on.

Yesterday this scene replayed itself multiple times. As I was dreading calling the mechanic and seeing my next paycheck being signed over to the garage, Chris luckily put on his Sherlock Holmes hat and started asking me questions.

C: "this could be a couple of things... wait, didn't you change the front headlight a while ago?"

V: "yeah..."

C: "And everything went okay?"

V: "Well, I couldn't get this one piece back on, so I just kind of set it in there. Is that bad?"

Um yeah. So last night Chris braved the cold and obvious frustration and took a look at my hack job. The piece in question was rolling around all loosey goosey. I guess this could create shorts...or something. Who knew? Luckily Chris was able to fix it and this morning I had no issues with the lights.

So what did I learn? When it comes to my car, for gosh sakes, ask for help!

No comments:

Post a Comment