December 28, 2009

Refashion Truths.

In preparation for the toys Santa was bound to bring, I asked the kids to go through their rooms and remove the things they no longer wanted or played with. In the middle of the big clean, Blake shyly comes up to me with the cake costume in her hand.

B: "Mom, is it okay if I tell you I don't want this".

V: "Sure honey....But you don't want it for dress up?"

B: "Is it okay if I say that I don't like it?"

V: "Oh my gosh! Did you not like it at Halloween?"

B: "No, I felt silly."

V: "So...you wore it for me?"

B: "I didn't want to hurt your feelings."

[big hugs]

So after I explained to her that it was okay to tell me how she feels about things, we went back to finishing her room. We came across two dresses that she didn't want. Feeling inspired to get my craft on, I decided to do a few refashions...

I took a 4T dress


removed the bodice and added elastic to make a skirt.


I then did the same thing to this dress:


And added some mesh to make it poofy

It didn't take long and when i was done I asked Blake what she thought.

B: "I'm sorry mom but I don't like them."

shoot. Well, at least I've learned my lesson. My daughter has a definite sense of what she likes and what she doesn't. Perhaps the next time I feel inspired, I should just ask what she thinks BEFORE I buy or refashion anything.

3 comments:

  1. awe honey! (but it is really funny) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well since she didn't want the skirt with a little poof, i'll take one. Hope you had a great holidays and New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that's too bad. They're so cute!

    ReplyDelete