March 16, 2009

Bliss on Rainy Spring Days.

What a weekend!

It all started with a special date with the most gorgeous 5 year old in the world. I picked up my date from daycare and headed to Chuck-E-cheese for dinner (her choice). We spent almost 2 hours playing games. Usually I get overwhelmed by the whole running kids/blinking lights/binging sounds thing, but the restaurant wasn’t that crowded, so we both had a great time. Next up we ended up in SE at the Community Music Center for a performance of Classical Revolution PDX. Now, I was a classically trained student and am well aware of how long, boring and stuffy chamber music can be. Hell, there were times when I felt bored while playing it! But I was inspired by their mantra so we went. Blake was still bored at times, but the group was able to engage the kids. There’s nothing like having the crowd scream after certain phrases during Beethoven’s Op.18. Classic! I’m sure it wasn’t on the top 10 of greatest things she’s ever done, but I’m glad I was able to share with her something different.

Saturday Chris took the kids to a children’s play where Blake was able to wrestle with the principle players afterwards. This allowed me some time alone. How great was that? Then we were off to Katie B’s birthday party. It astounds me how quickly children grow! Kate and Blake have known each other for almost 5 years now. I work with her Dad and even though we live far apart we make an effort to have them get together for play dates. Blake had a grand ‘ole time. This upcoming Saturday we have another girl’s day out planned...

On Sunday I ran the Shamrock 5K. Yup, I ran the whole entire thing in 34.01. Honestly, I look at my time and I know I can do better. I know now that I need to be closer to the start line. I wasn’t aggressive enough to immediately pass the walkers and the people with jogging strollers. I wasn’t aware enough of where I was on the course so I didn’t push early enough towards the end. And I will need to buy myself a watch so I can accurately time myself so at the end, when the whole group stops yards before the finish line and shuffles across, I can stop my time. (I’m still bitter about that!) So today I’m signing up for another 5K in three weeks. My goal...to come in under 30 minutes. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. I think it's great that you're taking Blake to events like this. Kids need musical and cultural exposure early on! You of all mothers I whole-heartedly expect to cultivate an eccentric, creative young mind.

    Good luck with the 5k! Running is all about self-motivation, with which I think our entire family is much more gifted than traditional competitive athleticism. You can do it!

    ReplyDelete