September 12, 2009

First Day of School

Blake's first official day of school was Friday.

I drove her to Sitton Elementary and walked her in. She was nervous. Okay okay... I must admit I was a little nervous as well. We've been to Sitton before on a previous carnival event earlier this year so that part wasn't new for her. It was the kids and the organized chaos that ensued.

After the first bell we walked to Room 1. There were a few other kids there with their families. One thing I love about North Portland is the diversity we have. We heard many languages, saw a lot of different skin tones and even a blue mohawk.

We found her hook to hang her back pack and she picked a spot at one of the four tables to sit in. She was quiet so I was hesitant to leave. But I bucked up, gave her a kiss and hug and backed out of the kindergarten room waving and giving thumbs up the entire way.

When I picked her up she was all smiles. "I LOVE school!!" she yelled. And for the first time this week I relaxed, sighed and enjoyed the moment as she told me about her day.

1 comment: